Lead By Example

Posted by Worldview Warriors On Monday, February 28, 2011 0 comments


"Always do everything you ask of those you command." - George S. Patton Jr.

In my first year as a youth minister, I took a group of students and adults to Toronto, Canada for a mission trip.

The mission organization’s group leaders took us to a park that, in the evening, was known for immoral activity but during the day was safe. So we took our group of high school students and adult leaders to this park and began to worship God through music and interacting with the few people that we could see in the park. As we began to play music, something very interesting happened: people we hadn’t seen in the bushes and surrounding areas came out to join us. It was obvious that many of these people were homeless or didn’t have anything except for the clothes on their backs. Some of them began to worship with us and others just needed someone to listen as they talked.

Before we left for Canada, I had trained our students and adult leaders as well as I knew how and was very pleased with how well our group from our small town in the United States was doing in this situation. I was excited because I could see these students and adults really getting into helping and sharing the Good News of Jesus Christ with these people.

I had no idea that what we were about to experience was not only going to change our youth ministry but also change me forever.

While we continued to worship, I noticed a man coming toward us who looked as if he had been in a fight not long before our arrival in the park. As he came closer, I realized that this man was covered in blood. To this day I do not know if it was his own blood or someone else’s, but I will tell you what went through my mind:

- I immediately thought of the safety of these students and adults for which I was responsible.
- Since I didn’t know what he needed or if he was dangerous, I immediately began to consider how I could keep this man a safe distance from everyone.

- I thought of my wife whom I had married 10 months earlier, our relationship, and our first child with whom she was pregnant.

I was very afraid as I thought of my new family, for I didn’t know if I would contract some sort of disease from this blood-covered man.

Then it happened! As the man approached me, he stuck out his hand to shake mine in friendship. I was frozen for what seemed like a minute, but I’m sure it was only about a second. What should I do? Then my spirit heard the voice of God say, “Jesus would touch this man.” I knew I had only a split second to obey or disobey God’s leading. I could either touch this man and quite possibly ruin my life, or I could keep him away from me and everyone else so that we were safe but still getting him help. Or I could touch him as Jesus would have touched a leper and welcome him into the group.

I am pleased to say that God gave me the strength to obey His leading. I stuck out my hand. We shook hands and then embraced. We talked for a while, and our group not only got him something to eat but also got him to the right people to get help.

I tell you this story so you understand the importance of your actions and obeying God’s voice when He asks you to do something for Him. You see, your life is not your own. It belongs to God.
I can also tell you, I believe, that that one event in a large park in Canada changed the entire scope of the youth ministry at the church I was serving and in the surrounding community when we returned home.

Why?

Because I heard and obeyed God’s voice, those students as well as the adult leaders knew that I was completely sold out to Christ. They knew that I was willing to put my life on the line to not only help others for the Lord but also to further Christ’s Kingdom.

I am pleased to say that this one event started a revolution in many people in our community that continues to grow throughout the world.

All I did was follow Jesus’ example in ministry! We all need to do the same right now. We need not fear humans or the circumstances we are in; we only must fear and respect God. Only when we grasp and live by this concept will we start to see some progress in society. Jesus trained His disciples by being with them and showing them how to live. He sunk His life into them. If you are a youth leader, pastor, or other Christian leader in your community, who are your disciples? Are they learning how to live the way of Christ or the way of man?

Write down at least three people you need to spend time with and disciple. If you are already meeting with these people, then start spending even more time with them.

Read God’s Word, listen for His voice, and obey His leading. This is all that matters in life. Once we put ourselves behind God and, without fear, put others before ourselves, we will see and experience a mighty work of God. Until that happens, we will continue to live our boring lives sitting in front of the television and computers watching life go by day after day. It’s time we live the adventure.

For further reading on learning Christ’s ways, check out:

Luke 10:1–24 Read carefully and put into practice what Jesus does here. Start learning how to train from the greatest leader ever. He sunk in to the few to further His Kingdom and He is STILL followed today. After all, He walked the earth over 2,000 years ago. He must have done something right.

Luke 10:25–37 How should we treat others? Let’s follow the example of Christ.

0 comments: