Down But Not Out

Posted by Worldview Warriors On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3 comments

by Bill Seng

I was discouraged. I felt embarrassed and stupid. I had walked into Derkins’ office thinking that I had some really serious questions for him to consider and he essentially squashed me like a bug. Why did I still believe the Bible? Did I really have a genetic disposition that forced me to believe in God like evolution teaches? If God were not real, then why could I not stop believing in him? I had to seek answers. I returned to my room and consulted God.

“Lord, why did you let that happen? I thought this book might help me to defeat Derkins’ teachings. It didn’t and now he may be further from you than ever and I will not know how to save people from the lies that he teaches. I need you to speak to me. I need answers. If you are willing, I will find the answers.”

I paused and sat in silence. I reflected on everything that had happened at that meeting. Derkins was so confident of what he was saying and did not hesitate to answer my questions. But then I started to think about everyone else: Tim, Stacey, Stu, Ashley, Margaret, Nick, my teammates, the Radical Ministry team. These people were dear to me and I did not want them to fall for the same lies that Derkins was teaching. But most of all, I thought about Megan. What hurt had she previously experienced that caused her to be the way she is? Regardless, Derkins was definitely harming any faith she may have had left in God. If no one else was vulnerable to this man’s teachings, she was. I had to find the truth.

Finally, the Lord spoke in a still, quiet voice. I became immediately confused, but understood full well what was being said. I was reading the wrong book. I turned and saw my Bible resting beside my computer. I walked over and picked it up. I prayed, “Lord, show me what you want me to read and reveal to me what it is you want me to know.” I knew I had to read Genesis.

I opened my Bible and started reading from verse one onward: “In the beginning…” I read about the six days of creation, the creation of man, and then I read about the entrance of sin into the world. After reading about how the serpent deceived Adam and Eve I knew I had found my answer, but I still did not understand what that answer was. It had something to do with the book of Genesis. The problem I had was that there was no science presented in the Bible. How could Genesis hold the key to my predicament if it does not present anything to be considered scientific? Instead of dwelling on this question, I replied to God, “Lord, thank you for revealing this to me. I will wait patiently for it to become clearer. Amen.”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've read the Bible? It has all the answers? Great!

No go read the Quran, Kojiki, and the Guru Granth Sahib then tell me you have all the answers.

Definitely read Dianetics and read up on our one true God Xenu.

What makes you think you have all the answers because you've read the Bible versus any one of a thousand different religious scriptures out there?

Bill Seng said...

That is a gracious response you posted. I would love to believe whatever it is you believe. Blessings and peace.

Charlie said...

Anonymous, stay tuned. We will be addressing why we read the Bible and why it should be read more than the other books very shortly. But will you have open ears to hear what we have to say? It's fine to ask questions. But are you expecting answers and regardless of whether you want to accept them or not, will you at least try to understand what we are actually saying?