Hands Off

Posted by Worldview Warriors On Sunday, November 15, 2015 0 comments


by Ami Samuels

One of my favorite verses in the Bible is Proverbs 3:5-6, which says, “Trust in the Lord with all of your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your path straight.”

I have experienced moments when I felt God saying, “Take your hands off of this situation, I’ve got this. Your help isn’t required.” In those times I would respond, “But God, this is my loved one! Shouldn’t I say or do something?”

Trusting God requires us to take our hands off of the situation. It requires us to trust Him and not try to manipulate the situation the way we think it should go. Trust requires us to pray about the situation and any involvement on our part. This means that we don’t say or do ANYTHING until we feel God has shown us what to say or do.

You say, “God hasn’t shown me what to say or do!” Then do nothing. Hands off!

This scripture passage also instructs us to lean not on your own understanding. I often have to stop myself and remember that I may have an opinion on a situation but I AM NOT THE HOLY SPIRIT! Just because I think I know what is right, or I think I know what I should say or do, doesn’t mean that I am right. Unless I know for sure that God has shown me the answer or action I am to take, then hands off!

I have said things like this before: “But God, If I just said _____, or If I just did _____, or If I shared more Scripture, showed them the error of their ways, I could fix this situation.”

Most of the time when God’s not calling me to jump in and try to “fix” a problem, I end up making the situation worse. When I interject my opinions, plans, and ideas, I exasperate the issues.

How do we know when to get involved and when to keep our hands off of situations?
Pray before we speak or take action.
Seek out scripture for guidance.
Seek wise counsel from a pastor or a spiritually mature friend.
Search your own motive and heart.
And wait on God’s leading. I f he isn’t leading and giving you direction to proceed, then “HANDS OFF”

This forum is meant to foster discussion and allow for differing viewpoints to be explored with equal and respectful consideration.  All comments are moderated and any foul language or threatening/abusive comments will not be approved.  Users who engage in threatening or abusive comments which are physically harmful in nature will be reported to the authorities.

0 comments: