When I Hated Solitude

Posted by Worldview Warriors On Sunday, November 29, 2015 0 comments


by Ami Samuels

There was a time when I hated solitude. I despised the quiet, and I filled every waking moment with noise.

From the second I got up in the morning until I went to bed at night, I had constant noise. I would either turn on the radio or the TV first thing in the morning, leaving it on until I went to bed or left the house. When I got in my car, the radio was on. To be honest, silence made me uncomfortable.

God began to show me that this steady stream of racket was crowding him out of my life.

I remember one particular morning when we lived in Kentucky, I was praying for God’s guidance in my life. The answer came in scripture: “Be still and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10).

“Be still?” I questioned. “Be still? Lord, you created me and you know that I am a people person and like to be busy. I asked for your guidance on my life, a plan, a course of action.”

The answer came again: “BE STILL AND KNOW THAT I AM GOD.”

As much as I tried to fight this instruction, I finally gave in and obeyed.

I decided to make intentional choices in my life. Instead of mindlessly watching television, I would only turn on the TV if I had a specific program to watch; I would no longer turn it on for background noise. I also made the intentional choice to spend quiet, uninterrupted time with God every day. This time has allowed me to grow in my faith and my knowledge of the Bible, and it provides peace and quiet in a busy world.

If you find yourself drowning in a sea of constant noise, I encourage you to make intentional choices about what you watch or listen to. Make the decision to turn off the noise around you and choose to be still and know that God is God!

This forum is meant to foster discussion and allow for differing viewpoints to be explored with equal and respectful consideration.  All comments are moderated and any foul language or threatening/abusive comments will not be approved.  Users who engage in threatening or abusive comments which are physically harmful in nature will be reported to the authorities.

0 comments: