Solitude Time: Is It Really That Important?

Posted by Worldview Warriors On Sunday, January 3, 2016 0 comments

by Jason DeZurik

In 1997 I was in training with Tentmakers Youth Ministry in Minnesota and was introduced to this idea of solitude for really the first time in my life. Oh, sure I had fasted and prayed a few times, but I had really never took time to just be in solitude with God. We only took about 45 minutes the first time during the training, but later in the training we took about 24 hours. It seriously changed my life and my relationship with God.

I began to see (and to be honest, I'm still learning) that just being in solitude with God makes me realize that He really is in control. If you will, it has helped me to realize that God is God and I am not.

Through the years, I have been more and more pointed at making time to be alone with God. One time that comes to mind is when I was at a special place for me called Wilderness North in northern Minnesota. I was blessed to be staying in one of their wonderful little cabins with only a bed, rocking chair, table and chair, and a wood stove. While I was there during this solitude time, I just told God that I would be listening and would be open to whatever He would share with me. One of the evenings while I was there, I was sleeping and woke up and just sensed the presence of God. I sensed that I should get up and just start writing on a notepad that I had brought with me, so I did. I just wrote and wrote and wrote until I sensed I should be done.

That morning I woke up and looked at what I had written. I believe about 12 pages were filled. It was pretty incredible, because I hadn't remembered writing that much. At the time, much of what I had written down really didn't make a whole lot of sense. Some did, but I knew much of this must be in regard to the future. Well, without knowing, I had written whole bunch down about the ministry of Worldview Warriors, which in all honesty wasn't really even much of a thought at that moment.

It's incredible what God will reveal to you when you make time to be with Him, especially in solitude time.

Psalm 1 is one of my favorite psalms. I encourage you to take time to read it. God bless you and have an amazing 2016.

This forum is meant to foster discussion and allow for differing viewpoints to be explored with equal and respectful consideration.  All comments are moderated and any foul language or threatening/abusive comments will not be approved.  Users who engage in threatening or abusive comments which are physically harmful in nature will be reported to the authorities.

0 comments: